I used to fill in this questionnaire every year. I started I think in 2005, but the only evidence I can find of it on my old blog is from 2007. I also printed some off and kept them, but then for a few years I stopped. This year I'm bringing it back. Mainly because as I get older, my memory gets worse and worse, and this is a good way for me to actually remember things.
1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
Ran a crowdfunding campaign. Did "It's Business Time" - a 6 month coaching program that culminated in launching my own business.
2. Did you keep any of your New Year’s Resolutions? Do you have any for 2016?
I didn't really make any last year, it was more about wanting to slow down. I did that, somewhat. My intention for 2016 is to be grounded in a healthy and sane, natural pace.
3. Did someone close to you give birth?
No. But two dear friends - Gill and Emily - wed their sweethearts.
4. Did someone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
More peace, with what is. More time in the garden.
7. What dates will remain in your memory?
No specific dates, but months: March - the month of crowdfunding. April - when I got my tattoo. June - when we got our kitty! August - my two week vacation, and our time in Chicago. September - Gill's wedding. And the Creative Soul Weekend!
8. Biggest achievements of the year?
Crowdfunding $5000, yo! Starting and running the Creative Soul Weekend with Emily! Holy shit, that's something. I don't think of it often but we really nailed it. Keeping a kitten alive: that's something too.
9. Biggest failure?
Geez, I never know what to say for this. Failures tend to turn into gold, in time, anyway. And maybe it's good that my failures don't stick in my head enough to come to mind?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not in any meaningful, long-lasting way.
11.What was the best thing you bought?
A ticket to Toronto for a wedding. Time with a personal trainer.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Anyone who welcomed refugees. Canadians who voted for anyone but Harper.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Car payments, student loan payments, Dim Sum. LOL.
15. What did you get really, really excited about?
16. What songs or albums will always remind you of 2015?
Adele: Send My Love to Your New Lover (song).
Fat Freddy's Drop: Bays (album).
Frazey Ford: Done (song).
17. Compared to this time last year, are you ...
- Happier or sadder? Happier. For sure.
- Thinner or fatter? Thinner, but not by much.
- Richer or poorer? Poorer, but not by much.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Gardening. Swimming. Reading.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worry. Fret. Put off cutting back my Facebook list because I was afraid of what people would do or say. (Spoiler: they did nothing.)
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With family, at Colin and Mary Jane's. Laughing a lot. Eating chocolate pudding with Baileys on it. Playing Phase 10.
21. Did you fall in love in 2015?
Only more so with Adam. (Awwwww... cheeseball, I know. But it's true.)
22. Any one-night stands?
Only the guy at the Halloween dance who was dressed up like a nightstand.
23. Your favourite TV shows?
Call the Midwife, hands DOWN.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
This is a weird question. And, no.
25. Best book you read?
I can never pick just one, but contenders are Farm City, The Dirty Life, Essentialism, Middlesex, What Alice Forgot, Station Eleven, and Longbourn.
26. Best musical discovery?
27. What did you want and get?
To do It's Business Time! A kitten! A profesh website!
28. What did you want and not get?
Marriage and a baby! LOL... but there is still time. Loads of it.
29. Favourite film of this year?
30. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I turned 31. Whew I'm old!! I also can't remember what I did for it... which makes me feel really old.
31. What one more thing would have made your year more satisfying?
I... have no idea. It was a pretty damn satisfying year.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
HA! I used to attempt this question but now I will just laugh. While I love Vogue, I'm no fashion plate. I rock jeans and tops.
33. What kept you sane?
The same as ever: physical activity, lazy days in bed, writing in my journal, laughing at shit with Adam or with girlfriends.
34. Which celebrity did you fancy the most?
Channing Tatum. I'd fancy him all night long, LOL.
35. Which political issue stirred you the most?
I wasn't stirred politically very much at all this year. Apathy? Burnout? Whatever it was, I couldn't deal.
36. Who do you miss?
Laura Nelson-Hamilton. Gill. Jess De Groot. Krista. Janice.
37. Who was the best new person or best new people that you met?
Stephanie Rice. Hands DOWN.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson (or lessons) that you learned in 2015.
A little bit every day or every other day ADDS UP. (Thinking about the gym. Also about writing.)
You can make true friendships through the Internet. (Thinking about Leah Wechsler.)
Real life long-term love is hard work and sometimes you don't even like the other person. But it's also the best goddamn thing ever. (Thanks to Renegade Mothering for her amazing words on this.)
39. What are the words to guide you through 2016?
Four P's: Patience. Privacy. Presence. Practice.